Welcome to the Kern Region Active Transportation Plan Web Page
With funding from the Caltrans Active Transportation Program, the Kern Council of Governments (Kern COG) is leading the development of a long-range, holistic plan for creating walkable and bicycle-friendly environments in the cities and unincorporated areas of Kern County. Context-sensitive solutions will be sought that reflect the distinctive character and needs of the various communities, large and small, throughout the region.
The County and several jurisdictions have recently completed or launched bicycle, pedestrian, trail and other planning efforts that support pedestrian and bicycle safety for people of all ages and abilities. The Kern Region Active Transportation Plan will build on this momentum, helping communities focus efforts and successfully obtain funding to implement improvements.
Through an extensive review of existing conditions and comprehensive community and stakeholder outreach, the Active Transportation Plan will establish a regional vision complemented by stand-alone recommendations for each jurisdiction and unincorporated area. User-friendly maps and prioritized projects will provide a clearly defined implementation strategy, enabling communities to put their respective plans into action.
Specifically, the Kern Region Active Transportation Plan aims to:
- Identify barriers and innovative solutions to encourage walking and bicycling as viable travel modes
- Develop safe and convenient walking and bicycling networks for people of all ages and abilities
- Effectively build on recently completed and current active transportation planning efforts
- Develop walking/bicycling networks supportive of existing and future land uses and projects
- Develop a clearly-defined implementation strategy with specific, creative, yet practical and financially feasible projects matched to specific funding opportunities
- Create enthusiasm among residents to participate in this effort through a robust and multi-faceted community outreach process
What’s Happening So Far
Our technical consultant team, led by Alta Planning and Design with the Local Government Commission and California Walks, is busy collecting and reviewing traffic and safety data, existing plans and current planning efforts, and documenting conditions throughout the County.